Re: PrefPanes for GNUstep

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: PrefPanes for GNUstep
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 17:08:48 +0200

M. Uli Kusterer wrote:
In article <mailman.4745.1098495408.2017.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
 Alex Perez <aperez@student.santarosa.edu> wrote:

No it doesn't.....these are two totally different things...Uli, I for one would welcome your prefpane implementation with open arms.

Here it is:

   http://www.zathras.de/GSSystemPreferences.zip

I wouldn't mind working more on this, if there is interest and it works for you. If I did something wrong (e.g. some OSX-isms that don't work with GNUstep) let me know.

Hi Uli,

I just compiled your framework with GNUstep (using the attached makefile). This worked fine mostly, just a few small issues: - you included a file GSPreferencePane Kopie.h, which needs to be renamed into GSPreferencePane.h - some includes where missing (AppKit.h in GSPreferencePane.h, math.h in GSSysPrefsAppDelegate.m) - you use a constant for the location of the Preference panes, which in did redefine for GNUstep to
#define GS_SYS_PREFS_PATH
@"/usr/GNUstep/System/Library/PreferencePanes/"
For GNUstep we do prefer to determine such locations at runtime. Using methods on NSBundle or functions like NSSearchPathForDirectoriesInDomains() would be prefered. - The way you find the bundle name and bundle icon (using names starting with CF) wont work for GNUstep. I am actually not sure at the moment, which names we use here. - as you did use NIB files you will need to convert them to gorm files (going via gmodel). In the future we may be able to read NIB files directly, but only when key value encoded.

Looks like there is nothing stopping you from using your preference panel with GNUstep. As soon as the NIBs have been converted, it could

Cheers
Fred

include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/common.make

OBJCFLAGS += -Wall
FRAMEWORK_NAME = PreferencePanes

PreferencePanes_HEADERS = \
        GSPreferencePane.h \
        GSSysPrefsAppDelegate.h  \
        PreferencePanes.h

PreferencePanes_OBJC_FILES = \
        GSPreferencePane.m  \
        GSSysPrefsAppDelegate.m \
        main.m

PreferencePanes_MAIN_MODEL_FILE = \

PreferencePanes_RESOURCE_FILES = \

-include GNUmakefile.preamble

include $(GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES)/framework.make

-include GNUmakefile.postamble