Re: ANN: GNUstep back version 0.9.4

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: ANN: GNUstep back version 0.9.4
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 21:05:18 +0200

Florent Pillet wrote:
On 25 sept. 04, at 05:05, Adam Fedor wrote:

   * Added a Cairo backend, although it is probably non-functional.
     Anyone is invited to contribute to making it work.

Sorry to seem clueless but ... what is a "Cairo" backend?

Cairo is yet another backend for GNUstep, this one being based on the cairo project (http://www.cairographics.org/), which basically is a graphics toolkit with a drawing concept very close to the one used by GNUstep. (Even aiming for the same composition operators)

Banlu wrote this backend some time ago and submited it to GNUstep this summer. I made it a bit more usable (at least for me :-)), but image handling is still not working. It may just be me, never knowing which way is up, but, as this happens for every backend I have to support, my impression is that GNUstep GUI is handing over the images the wrong way. You may proof me wrong by correcting the image handling in the Cairo backend :-)

Apart from not handling images, cairo is rather slow and there are missing bits in the font handling (actually rather big bits).

Cheers
Fred