*Any* way to getting GNUstep on a G4 ???

From: M. Uli Kusterer
Subject: *Any* way to getting GNUstep on a G4 ???
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 02:42:11 +0200

Hi,

 I just spent the better part of the day trying to get GNUstep installed
on my Mac somehow. I can't get it to work. Here's all the things I've
tried in the past year:

1) Somehow install GNUstep under MacOS X. This included compiling my own
GCC, which seemed to work, but when I got to GNUstep-GUI I got all sorts
of weird errors that proved me wrong. A guy from this list/NG helped me
with that, but we sadly didn't get anywhere near a working GNUstep. At
least it only took a week.

2) Installing Debian ("Woody"). I got as far as running GNUstep apps,
but apt-get for Woody doesn't include the dev tools. And I couldn't find
any hints at how to get those installed on that OS, so I was stuck.

3) Installing Debian ("Sarge" - testing). I couldn't even get Debian
itself to install. It just froze the installer trying to talk to some
aic7xxx driver.

4) Installing Woody, again. Somehow the second time round lots of
packages seem to be missing from the net-install server. I couldn't even
get X11 running anymore.

5) Installing the GNUDarwin stuff on top of a frash copy of Panther.
This didn't really produce anything that worked.

6) Installing OpenDarwin 7.2.1 and then the GNUDarwin stuff on top of
that. After lots of fiddling, downloading and configuring, I got as far
as having everything installed, I think, but openapp complains about
libgcc-1.0_s being missing...

So, anybody know a less painful way of getting GNUstep onto a PowerMac
G4? I'm a seasoned programmer and not a command-line illiterate either,
but I'd have no idea where to even *start* diagnosing the problem, and
I've already proven that compiling my own GCC is just too complex. And
since neither Mozilla nor Lincs [sic] will launch on OpenDarwin either,
I have to restart each time I want to try out something I googled up.

This is feeling as if Linux was a root beer float and I was trying to
walk on it with my shoes on fire...

 I *want* to contribute code, but that darned machine won't let me!

Hellllpppp!!!!
-- M. Uli Kusterer
http://www.zathras.de