Re: What backend should be the default now on -nix?

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: What backend should be the default now on -nix?
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2004 20:24:20 -0700 (PDT)

All,

I just wanted to chime in on this...

My vote on this was for art.  One thing I would like to say before the end of
the thread is that art has more complete support for compositing than any other
backend due to it's use of libart and the hard work of Alex M.   This makes the
results produced by art VERY close to what was originally done under
OPENSTEP/Mach and what is available under Mac OS X as far as ubiquitous
anti-aliasing of graphics is concerned.

I'm not sure I agree with the "portability" reasoning for xlib since I have
been able to get art functioning on all of my systems in my lab here without
many problems (I've got about a dozen machines with different operating
systems).  Also, art seems to work more consistently across all of the systems
I have tested.  On some of those systems the fonts and everything are all
screwed up when using xlib and it's necessary to change the settings for the
display to get it to work properly.

Just my opinion on the subject.

Later, GJC

=====
Gregory John Casamento
-- CEO/President Open Logic Corp. (A Maryland Corporation)
#### Maintainer of Gorm for GNUstep.