Re: Default colors vs. gamma

From: M. Uli Kusterer
Subject: Re: Default colors vs. gamma
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 21:34:11 +0100

In article <mailman.6383.1099241591.2017.discuss-gnustep@gnu.org>,
 Quentin Mathé <gnustep-quentin@club-internet.fr> wrote:

> Last point, I cannot imagine
> having a desktop environment which asks a newbie to set its gamma, it
> is a such complex notion for the everyday user.

 Even MacOS (which is often deemed the platform of choice for artists
and graphic designers) only has an assistant (aka "Wizard", reachable
via a Preference Pane) for setting up Gamma etc.

 It's pretty nice, though. If you don't go into "expert" mode, they
mainly show you a few images and tell you how they're supposed to look
(e.g. a grey Apple inside a field of black horizontal lines, and you
have to set brightness and contrast until the Apple blends in with the
lines), and give you one or two sliders to perform your corrections.

 That means: I encourage you to have a default gamma and leave changing
it to those people that need it.

Cheers,
-- Uli
http://www.zathras.de