Re: Recommended minimum information when submitting bugs...

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: Recommended minimum information when submitting bugs...
Date: 01 Nov 2004 02:52:23 GMT

Gregory John Casamento <greg_casamento@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- MJ Ray <mjr@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> > Really, it's going to be a lot more reliable than user-generated
> > information.
> > (Am I really running 0.10.1 or did I typo?)
> Given that this information isn't updated for every bug which is fixed, how
> can
> I rely on the version number alone? [...]

I thought you started the thread which asked for version numbers alone?

> > CVS users should not be the norm, so they can probably edit rather than
> > just copy-pasting...
> Unfortunately we must account for both.

Sure, and I say account for CVS users by declaring that anyone running
from CVS should know enough to realise they're running CVS and not a
released version.

In the words of debian: "you are always up-to-date with the latest in
GNU/Linux software industry, but if it breaks: you get to keep both
parts :-)" (FAQ s5.7)