Re: non recursive makefiles

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: non recursive makefiles
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 18:47:11 +0000

> > this initial captatio benevolentiae sound a bit flaky. [...]
>
> I speak a few languages, but not that one. What does that mean? I suspect

It's britsh english - or at least as much a part of it as other latinisms
like 'et cetera' or 'curriculum vitae' are. Its the opening part of a
letter intended to get the reader 'on side' - I think it literally
means "capturing of goodwill" or something similar. Probably doesn't
occur outside these obscure little islands though I suspect.

I'm quite amused to see it being used actually - I dont think I've
come across it as a phrase since I left university!

-bat. [thats the only thing in this discussion I know I can answer!]