Re: strokeadjust:ing by default

From: Alexander Malmberg
Subject: Re: strokeadjust:ing by default
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 00:40:39 +0100

Adrian Robert wrote:
On Jan 18, 2005, at 8:59 AM, Alexander Malmberg wrote:
As an example, here a are a bunch of lines without strokeadjusting:

http://web.telia.com/~u42308495/alex/backart/lines_strokeadjust_off.png

and with:

http://web.telia.com/~u42308495/alex/backart/lines_strokeadjust_on.png

It looks like the strokeadjust_on case definitely lets you see more detail on a resolution-limited display. Very nice. Do you have any comparable shots for diagonal lines and curves (closely-spaced or otherwise)?

The current implementation doesn't do anything about diagonal lines or curves, so there's nothing to show. It's tricky to do anything useful with them, but if there turns out to be a need and I can think of something to do, I might extend the adjustments.

Also what about thicker lines, or would we not see a difference for
those?

There are thicker lines in the example image. There is a difference, but it isn't as noticeable as it is for thin lines.

> And what about more ordinary application window / GUI types
of situations?  Would we see a difference here?

Sometimes, yes. The primary motivation for doing this was to handle straight horizontal or vertical lines that are drawn right between pixels (which seems to be fairly common, probably because developers are unfamiliar with postscript). Often, it's better to adjust the coordinates in the app, but when translating or scaling (e.g. when I finish support for DPI!=72), only the backend will know what the coordinates should be :).

- Alexander Malmberg