Re: questions on the gworkspace desktop

From: Enrico Sersale
Subject: Re: questions on the gworkspace desktop
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 02:19:45 +0200

On 2005-01-21 23:03:55 +0200 Alex Perez <aperez@student.santarosa.edu> wrote:

Enrico Sersale wrote:
On 2005-01-19 03:41:51 +0200 Alex Perez <aperez@student.santarosa.edu> wrote:

[snip]

WindowMaker 0.91 (and, to a lesser extent, 0.90) are completely NET_WM compliant window managers. This is I implore Enrico to test this stuff, since, doubtlessly some behaviors have changed.

Done.
The interesting thing is that it seems that with 0.91 no trick is needed to make a window omnipresent. This because -back does it for us; XGServerWindow already sets the _NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DESKTOP atom for a window at NSDesktopWindowLevel. The only thing to notice is that it seems that you must add to your NSWindow something as:

- (void)orderWindow:(NSWindowOrderingMode)place
           relativeTo:(int)otherWin
{
    [super orderWindow: place relativeTo: otherWin];
    [self setLevel: NSDesktopWindowLevel];
}

-setLevel: used in other places doesn't seem to work.
So, I've leaved my XDesktopWindow.bundle in place to be used with WindowMaker < 0.91 (or other window managers, I suppose) but it does nothing if you are using 0.91.

It would be nice if you document that...

Or there is a bug in my English or it's too late but I don't understand what I
should document :-)
Why -setLevel: seems to work only in -orderWindow:relativeTo: or why I leaved
the XDesktopWindow.bundle in the sources?