Re: Package releases at homepage

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Package releases at homepage
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 20:23:01 -0700

On Jan 30, 2005, at 10:06 AM, Adrian Robert wrote:

My suggestion is to put there references to packages:

GNUstep-core-x.x.x | Release Info

This is a fantastic idea.  The core package can still keep
base,gui,back subdirectories, and the "compile-all" script
already there actually does installation too.  The INSTALL
file suggests installing things individually, but this is
probably not so relevant except for developers, and they
will presumably be using CVS checkout anyway.

Several problems.

1) The libraries are released on different schedules.

2) Compiling everything together works great IF everything goes well, but the huge variety of platforms means something goes wrong at some point. Then we get a bug report like:

include file "AppKit/NSApplication.h" missing

when the real error was probably installing a previous library.

I think it would be much better to work on an installer package, similar to the Windows installer package, that would package together stable, tested, library and app releases.