Fwd: Desktops, Components and Roles

From: Rogelio Serrano
Subject: Fwd: Desktops, Components and Roles
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 16:29:47 +0800

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rogelio Serrano <rogelio.serrano@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 15:51:04 +0800
Subject: Re: Desktops, Components and Roles
To: Nicolas Roard <nicolas.roard@gmail.com>

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 19:00:56 +0000, Nicolas Roard
<nicolas.roard@gmail.com> wrote:

> Le 10 févr. 05, à 13:10, Quentin Mathé a écrit :

[snipped...]
> > I agree, my hopes is we can merge somewhat the various desktop
> > environments later in the year, the name of current desktop
> > environments (Backbone, Garma and Étoilé) should be probably be
> > associated with specific loadable set of components (like Workspace,
> > Dock, or specific framework etc.) and the code would be stored in just
> > one GNUstep environment repository. Like themable behaviors built on a
> > common semantic, it looks like a more extended version of the roles
> > idea discussed by Stefan Urbanek in the past… I think it's not easy to
> > achieve, but Nicolas yesterday convinced it's probably the way to go
> > until we choose may be at some point a default set of components as
> > the default GNUstep environment.

[snipped..]

I disagree. We should let all of them do as they like. Let the fittest survive.

Im pretty willing to refactor code from the other projects into
backbone for example. I think the variety of use and interchange of
code is beneficial.

Whoever delivers fastest is going to attract the most developers and
whoever keep things simple will deliver the fastest.

--
Blood is thicker than water... and much tastier
                                           John Davidorff Pell