Re: Newbie problem with fonts

From: Diptansu Das
Subject: Re: Newbie problem with fonts
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:04:29 -0700 (PDT)

Yeah, I did have problems installing gnustep on
Cygwin. My system is -- WinXP, wth Cygwin installed.
All of the latest stable packages were used. I
installed the gcc-objc packages, the gcc-mingw support
packages for objc development, and the libfreetype and
libart libraries using the Cygwin setup installer.

Then i downloaded the ffcall, gnustep-objc, and all
core source bundles. first i configured, make-ed and
installed ffcall. To compile the gnustep-core
libraries i used these options:
 --prefix=/usr/local/GNUstep
--with-ffi-include=/usr/local/include
--with-ffi-library=/usr/local/lib --libdir=/usr/lib
--includedir=/usr/include

gnustep-make had to be compiled twice, because the
first time it didnt find the objc.dll . The GNUstep.sh
setup script nedds to be executed for the system to
find the objc.dll . After the shell script was
executed, I recompiled and reinstalled gnustep-make.

Next base, and gui libraries were compiled and
installed. I didnt have any problems with these.

for gnustep-back, I used a couple of more options in
addition to the ones above: --enable-server=x11 and
--enable-graphics=art.

I had to download the ArtsResources bundle to install
the fonts.

With this setup, I still couldnt see any fonts the
first time. Applications were starting up nicely and
windows wre being displayed -- everything except the
fonts. Then after a couple of hours of playing with
it, the fonts suddenly started appearing. A couple of
days later i downloaded the latest CVS snapshot of
make and installed it, and thats when the fonts again
disappeared. I remade the stable core packages I had
and reinstalled, but the fonts still dont appear
now....

Hope this answers your questions.

Regards,
DD