GWorkspace and file system problems and portability issues.

From: Riccardo
Subject: GWorkspace and file system problems and portability issues.
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 20:02:34 +0200

Hello all,

having setup a test box (x86 running FreeBSD 5.3) which runs exclusively gnustep and loads GWorkspace at X startup (so exiting that will close everything). I think it should provide me with the closest OPENSTEP experience I can gain at the current state of things.

I noticed a few quirks though:
- available disk space is completely bogus in gworkspace ! it reports 120GB or more of available disk space. This is bogus, the whole disk is capped to 32GB.... I have no special partitions, AFAIK. (free space is reported bogus on solaris too, since there user directories are mounted from the same file system to itself in a directory, if you use a single partition...)

- /etc/mtab poses a portability problem: it does not exist in FreeBSD and being asked for it every time at startup is tedious.

- my home folder is nto recognized as such! I get no small house icon near it, even if I drop it in the shelf of each viewer which is my custom. It could be related that /home is symlinked to /usr/home in freebsd? and gworkspace uses some custom way to check for it? or gnustep itself has a flaw there

cheers,
   Riccardo

PS: I noticed that CVS version of gnsutep has lately gdnc problems, I get reports of the applications being unable to contact it. If I choose ignore, everything works. This happens to me both on FreeBSD as on Linux (both x86)