hacking into GNUstep (on Windows)

From: Lloyd Dupont
Subject: hacking into GNUstep (on Windows)
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 17:10:19 +1000

I'm porting some software to MacOSX to Windows.

I need to keep my data classes in ObjectiveC on both system.
Some of my data classes uses AppKit (for font and NSAttributedString information and others miscellaneous thing) and some use new method implemented in MacOSX10.3 (and not currently implemented GNUstep), and causes some errors when I provide dummy (empty) implementation.

I was thinking to 'hack' the sources.
Here comes a real nightmare for me, I never ever manage to even build big, multiplatform, UNIX style project.
The setup always escaped me, it's daunting....

Anyway I though.... in the GNUstep installer there is an option to build from the source, nice ;)
Would it provide me an environment where I could just hack the source and 'make' straight away?

Also I have an other GNUstep install (in an other directory) would a second install (the experimental one where I would hack) would break the first (you know, change system variable and such..)?