Objective-C - Smalltalk bridge

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Objective-C - Smalltalk bridge
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 00:37:14 +0200

Hi,

I have downloaded the Smalltalk bridge from the GNUstep ftp.
Unfortunately the package was not compilable, as there was no
GNUmakefile. I have created one and fixed the example .m file there to
make it somehow work. The result is here:

http://stefan.agentfarms.net/Download/GNUstep/Prototypes/gstobjc-1.2-stiivi-20050513.tar.bz2

It should display a kind of hello message.

Issues I had:
- the bridge requires readline and ncurses - can be that eliminated
somehow?
- the program ended on Smalltalk readline
- how can I get ObjC proxy for a Smalltalk object? I was not able to say
anything about a result of an execution. I want to do someting like:

    Smalltalk        *smalltalk; /* say this exists */
    NSMutableArray   *array; /* this exists too */
    result = [smalltalk execute:@"1+1"];
    [array addObject:result];
    NSLog(@"Added number %i", [result intValue]);

Also ... how can I reference ObjectiveC objects from Smalltalk? Would it
be possible to give more examples?

Anyway, it looks like a excellent base for a Smalltalk computational
environment for ObjectiveC.

Regards,

Stefan Urbanek
--
http://stefan.agentfarms.net

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then
you win.
- Mahatma Gandhi