Re: Install gnustep-base standalone

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: Install gnustep-base standalone
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 12:14:08 -0700 (PDT)

Josh,

--- jmlst79@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi, I'm a grad. student doing a research study comparing the
> efficiencies of Cocoa, GNUstep, and the STL.  In our experiments so far
> (which have been done on the same machine), Cocoa data structures seem
> to be much slower and use much more memory than the same data
> structures in GNUstep.  This was suprising to us, since Cocoa was
> developed by Apple to run on their hardware.

I believe that's news (quite good news as a matter of fact) to us as well.

> Anyway,  does anyone know if there are any strange debugging or
> bookkeeping options used by Cocoa that are on by default and that we
> could turn off to potentially speed up the Cocoa data structures?

Not to my knowledge.  You might check the developer documentation on Apple's
site, but I don't think there is anything like what you're talking about.

> We've tried some optimization ideas from www.mulle-kybernetik.com.  Any
> information about optimizing Cocoa code would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Josh

BTW, do you think you could publish the results so that others could take a
crack at recreating your results?

Later, GJC

Gregory John Casamento
-- CEO/President Open Logic Corp. (A MD Corp.)
## Maintainer of Gorm (IB Equiv.) for GNUstep.