Re: NSComboBox : how to set the width properly ?

From: Quentin Mathé
Subject: Re: NSComboBox : how to set the width properly ?
Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 02:27:27 +0200

Le 21 mai 05, à 17:32, Stéphane Goujet a écrit :

Also, there is an extra problem. When you set the frame width to be the width of the text field plus the width of the button, the display of the original NSComboBox is OK. But when you click on the button and the list appears, the scroller is again inside the text field. I mean it takes some room, so the space for texts in the list is too short again. I think that in Cocoa, the scroller does not steal space from the text fields, it is added on the right of the list (under the button). Isn't that better ?

For combo boxes surely, otherwise I would say no or not always. (Moreover NeXT UI guidelines state scroller must be on the left)

Like that there is not this width problem in the list, and because it is on the right of the list, the text fields of the list are aligned with the text field of the NSComboBox. Also the use of the mouse pointer is easier, because you do not have to go from the button on the right to the scroller on the left ; you just have to move the mouse down.
  What is your opinion ?

When I corrected NSComboBoxCell implementation, I decided to keep it like that because scroller is on the left with GNUstep (not on the right like Cocoa) and it looks like poorly designed UI in my opinion when popup list extends below combo box button. Well I admit I'm not very satisfied by the current choice, I have even thought to put this button on the left of the text field but it looks worst.

Quentin.

--
Quentin Mathé
qmathe@club-internet.fr