Re: Display Postscript + Framemaker + Redhat + Gnustep ?

From: Robert Slover
Subject: Re: Display Postscript + Framemaker + Redhat + Gnustep ?
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 13:16:07 -0500

Hi Bob,

I am sorry to say that I think you are fishing in the wrong pond ;-)

The GNUstep project at one time intended to use the Display GhostScript interpreter for the underlying drawing API, but it never worked out for various reasons. GNUstep has instead opted for a flexible architecture with the graphic libraries depending on pluggable "backend" libraries to implement common DPS operators. The biggest thing this costs is the inability to use things like the "pswrap" tools to arbitrarily extend the server. Regardless, I don't think this would have ever helped your situation.

As you said, the Sun X server contains DPS extensions. The XFree/X.org servers do not. There would therefore be no way for the libraries on the machine hosting FrameMaker to "discover" the DGS libraries -- they're stand-alone and use core X protocol only. The mechanism for associating an X windows window context with a PostScript graphic context is therefore certainly different. It's been something like 10 years since I messed with any of this, but on AIX it only ever worked on locally attached displays anyway, IIRC. There was at one time an effort for a "true" DPS extension for Xfree (see dps.sourceforge.net ) but it has been abandoned. That would have been your more promising route if it were still available.

Now, to address your problem more directly. You seem to have already identified the issue to be that your EPS images contain no embedded preview. This should be possible to take care of, and -- given that you have a large body of work to convert -- should be possible to automate. The last time I looked into a FrameMaker .mif file, embedded graphics were stored Base64 encoded (I think) -- this was FM7. If your graphics are already external this should be even easier. Anyway, with the Unix version of Frame you might have access to 'fmbatch'. If not, there are freeware/shareware equivalents. You can use one of these utilities to batch-convert you .fm files to .mif. A perl script can then be used to extract embedded .eps files. The extracted and external .eps can then be batch-converted to include previews. Take a look at something like 'epstool' for doing this. I'd recommend TIFF previews. A second perl script can then be used to 'replace' the original embedded .eps files inside your .mif files. Re-open in Frame, and things should "just work" -- presuming, of course, that FrameMaker falls back to showing the image preview on remote displays without PostScript extensions (I do not know this to be true, but I would expect it to be).

I'm leaving for a trip in about 5 minutes or I'd provide more detail. I've done similar things in the past with inherited FrameMaker documents. Unfortunately, my newest Frame for Unix is 4.0 for Solaris (which took lots of shell script hacking to even install on Solaris 7) so it would be difficult to put together example scripts. I don't do enough FrameMaker work anymore to justify the upgrade prices. The newest Frame I have for Windows is 5.5, and for Mac, 4.5. At work we use 7.0, but only on Windows (no fmbatch).

Good Luck.

--Robert