Re: Problem with Renaissance and InstanceOf

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: Problem with Renaissance and InstanceOf
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 11:37:40 +0100

Someones already answered the bit above, but I wanted to anser this
before I vanish for ten days...

> Also, in an attempt to compile Renaissance from source, which led to
> an attempt to get GNUstep Make, which led to an attempt to get
> GNUstep Startup, I got an error telling me that the system couldn't
> use my Objective-C compiler to make binaries.  Is the Apple gcc
> incompatible with building GNUstep and, if I completely replaced it
> with the FSF compiler, would it break Apple's toolchain?  I was under
> the strange impression that they were equivalent.

This should work fine. We use renaissance here as a way to build tools
for both FreeBSD and OSX from the same source. We havent tried under Tiger,
but earlier releases you simply install GNUstep make and then build
Renaissance and it works fine. The Apple gcc works well with this, and we
use this all the time. I know that doesnt answer your question, but it might
give you a bit of confidence that what you are trying to do atually works
and is used in practice.

I handed off all this development work to my colleague a while ago, and I've
asked him to drop in on this list and see if he's got anything useful to
contribute possibly.

Personally, Renaisssance was about the most important thing which happened to
GNUstep for me. It's cerrtainly the one thing which changed it from being
a bit of a novelty into something useful for writing applications again.
I wish I had more free time to put into it.

-bat.