Re: Problem building gnustep-gui-0.10.0

From: Richard Stonehouse
Subject: Re: Problem building gnustep-gui-0.10.0
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 15:06:38 +0100

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 02:40:45AM +0300, Enrico Sersale wrote:
> On 2005-08-17 00:26:41 +0300 Richard Stonehouse <richard@rstonehouse.co.uk>
> wrote:

> >I've now built portaudio v18.1 and successfully built gnustep-gui
> >against it.
>
> I've modified gsnd to use portaudio v19. It seems to work very well. Can
> you test it, please?

Thanks, Enrico. I'm willing - where and how do I get it and what do I
do with it? As a non-programmer, I need step-by-step instructions!

By the way, the version of portaudio-19 in SuSE is:
$Id: portaudio.h,v 1.5.2.50 2004/12/13 11:50:40 rossbencina Exp $
(according to the portaudio.h).

> >>I don't know of anyone using audio with GNUstep.
>
> Also GNUMail can use audio; you must select a sound from
> Info->Preferences->Receiving.

I'll try that.

> >The contents viewer in GWorkspace shows the usual sound playing
> >controls, if you select a sound file. Clicking on the 'play' button
> >plays the sound - but then the machine starts to run very slowly, with
> >the gnustep sound daemon soaking up all the CPU, until GWorkspace
> >times out and aborts. Not sure whether this could be a bug or a sign
> >that I've mis-built something - has anyone else had a similar
> >experience?
>
> I'm using the sound inspector since 2002, when I wrote NSSound and gsnd,
> and I've never experienced this overload...

I get the above problem only in the latest GNUstep release
(make-1.11.0, base-1.11.0, gui-0.10.0 built against portaudio-18.1
and back-0.10.0).

The problem didn't occur in the previous version of GNUstep
(make-1.10.0, base-1.10.3, gui-0.9.5 and back-0.9.6) - this played the
sound OK and didn't hog the CPU.

I'm using GWorkspace-0.7.1 in both of the above, built against the
appropriate GNUstep.

It's quite possibly my fault; I had to hack around with portaudio-18.1
a bit to get it to build and may have done something wrong - though I
tried a couple of the portaudio test programs and they seemed to work
OK. Anyway, perhaps a bit academic now if v19 is working.

--
    Richard Stonehouse