Re: GNUstep and session management

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: GNUstep and session management
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 08:17:03 +0000

On 2005-09-30 07:41:52 +0000 Roman Belenov <rbelenov@yandex.ru> wrote:

Does GNUstep framework give some session-awareness to the apps that use it ?
Is it possible to use xsm or something like that to at least close the session
cleanly (that is, give apps with unsaved documents a chance to save them) ?

In theory, yes ... the gui library has the NSWorkspace class ... which is essentially the session management facility. When the session manage wishes to shut down (either for a logout or for the machine shutting down), it should post an NSWorkspaceWillPowerOffNotification to the workspace notificationCenter. The workspace notification center sends that notification to all the applications in the session, and they can respond by closing down cleanly.

In practice, I think most applications probably ignore the notification (since we don't actually have a standard session manager to send the notification ... except perhaps GSWorkspace.app, which might send an NSWorkspaceWillPowerOffNotification when it is shut down).