Re: Unicode characters in window title

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Unicode characters in window title
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 18:55:39 +0100

Fred Kiefer wrote:
> Adam Fedor wrote:

>>> I reported something very similar as a Gorm bug on savanah (See
>>> http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=15029 )
>>>
>> Currently, window titles get converted to ascii (lossyCString) before being
>> set. WM can certainly handle unicode now (it couldn't back in the day when I
>> wrote that). See
>>
>> back/Source/x11/XGWindowServer.m(-titlewindow::)
>>
>> Should be easy enough to fix, if some one wants to do it ;-)
>>

> I already had looked into fixing this yesterday. It really isn't too
> hard, for what Andreas wants we could just convert the string to Latin1,
> which window manages need to support, instead of using lossyCString. But
> I would prefer an UTF8 solution, which need a bit more thinking and
> currently the weather is so bright over here.

Hi Andreas,

I have bad news for you. I wrote a bit of code here and already
submitted it to CVS. This code uses Xutf8TextListToTextProperty, an
XFree86 extension, to set the window title as an UTF8 string. Now this
extension wont be present on your Solaris machine, that's why it is bad
news for you. The behaviour of GNUstep will be alright for the rest of us.
What can you do now? First check your GNUstep default String encoding.
This currently gets used for the conversion of the window title and it
does not seem to match what your window manager supports.
Second you could have a go at implementing an alternate way of setting
the window title with either Xmb or Xwc. I would have tried myself, but
I never did get my head around these concepts.

Cheers
Fred