Re: Future direction of AppKit manual

From: Christopher Armstrong
Subject: Re: Future direction of AppKit manual
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 19:20:45 +1100

Yep I should have mentioned that I meant the manual as more of a
reference as opposed to a set of tutorials. That said, I do want to
include complete examples that demonstrate the concepts included. I
guess I'll need to start thinking of practical things that can be done
minimally. Perhaps like a defaults browser implemented NSBrowser, or an
image viewer to demonstrate NSImage, or something of a very simple
spreadsheet with NSMatrix and some NSTextFieldCell's. One thing I should
document more closely is drag and drop.

My main aim was to write something that documented the AppKit at a
developer's level, something that people can use to achieve common taks,
not just a class reference. I've tried to assume that the person has/can
read the GNUstep base manual, which explains Objective-C and how you can
use it quite thoroughly. I didn't want to focus too much on explaining
selectors, informal/formal protocols, etc. It would be nice to combine
some people's tutorials on such subject matter (I know alot of people
have written stuff explaining Objective-C), but I didn't want to
replicate the work already done.

Oh and by the way, I didn't mean to exclude anyone with my New year's
greeting :-)

Cheers
Chris

--
Christopher Armstrong <carmstrong at fastmail dot com dot au>