New controller questions

From: Dennis Leeuw
Subject: New controller questions
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 11:46:00 +0100

Hi all,

Thanks to Richard and Chris I am now working on a test version of controller. This version uses the plists instead of its own database.

The downside is that I have to assume that the toplevel (package) is a Application, Framework, Bundle, Service, library (a plain unix type of library as found in Libraries) or Tool. Is this a safe assumption?

I also have a couple of other questions:
- Libraries has a Libraries/Resources directory, but Tools does not. Shouldn't that be also available? And there are only plists for gnustep-base and gnustep-gui no other entries for other libs available. Is this correct? - Frameworks sometimes uses a version of A, and sometimes a real version like 0.4.1 what is the rule here? Seems like if <type>Version (e.g. ApplicationVersion) is not set in the plist A is used, correct? - For e.g. StepTalk the generic data is stored in Library/StepTalk, while there is a ApplicationSupport directory. What is the idea/future?

Next to that I created a couple of plist additions comments and suggestions welcome (this one is for GWorkspace as that is what I use for testing):
Supplied = (
   {
        Bundles = "";
        Libraries = "libDBKit libFSNode libInspector";
        ColorPickers = "";
        Fonts = "";
        Frameworks = "FSNode Inspector";
        Libraries = "libDBKit libFSNode libInspector";
        Services = "";
        Preferences = "";
Defaults = "GWorkspace fswatcher ddbd indexer lsfupdater resizer searchtool";
        Tools = "indexer lsfupdater resizer searchtool";
        Daemons = "fswatcher ddbd";
        Headers = "FSNode Inspector";
        Applications = "GWorkspace";
        Support = "GWorkspace ddbd Thumbnails Desktop";
        BundlesExt = "inspector finder extinfo thumb"
   }
);

- Support is everything that is added in ${GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT}/Library
- I am still in doubt if BunlesExt and Bundles are needed or if I should only use Bundles - The Tools section is without the ones already mentioned in Daemons... no need to duplicate.

Greetings,

Dennis

--
"It is not necessary to change.