Re: Cairo/Glitz backend woes (was: GNUStep FreeBSD 6.0)

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Cairo/Glitz backend woes (was: GNUStep FreeBSD 6.0)
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:31:43 +0100

Dirk Meyer wrote:
> Chris B. Vetter wrote:
>
>>   :1> openapp EasyDiff.app
>>   /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1:
>>   /Library/Bundles/libgnustep-cairo-010.bundle/./libgnustep-cairo-010:
>>   Undefined symbol "_cairo_toy_font_face_create"
>>
>> Oh well... Looks like this function is defined as static, as I can't
>> find it in any of cairo's header files.
>
> With GNUstep build from ports I get the _cairo_toy_font_face_create problem,
> even with glitz enabled.

Yes, the current cairo backend code uses two functions not exported by
cairo. One even no longer present in that form in the cairo library.
This needs to be sorted out and I would appreciate any help on that.
>From what I understand the cairo people expect libraries that use cairo
to apply another level of libraries to use the font interface of cairo.
This would most likely be pango, but I am still a bit reluctant to link
pango into GNUstep. The last time I did suggest this (aout five years
ago) the echo I got for that was not to positive.
If you see another way to resolve this, please come up with it.

Fred