Re: Getting Started w/ GNUSTEP-GUI

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Getting Started w/ GNUSTEP-GUI
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 08:48:10 +0000

On 29 Jan 2006, at 02:57, Stephen Sebeny wrote:

[sebeny@lambda:~/image_test]> openapp ImageTestApp.app
/usr/local/GNUstep/System/Tools/openapp: /etc/GNUstep/GNUstep.conf: not
found

If anyone has any idea what is causing this error in the set-up of the
GNUSTEP stuff, or has any advice on resolving the issue, I'd really
appreciate it if you could e-mail me. I'm pretty sure its an issue with the GNUSTEP installation that I won't be able to resolve myself, but I basically need to tell the support folks exactly what they're going to need to do as they won't spend any time researching the issue. So any advice is very much
appreciated.

The GNUstep make package needs to be installed correctly ... which includes the installation of GNUstep.conf in the /etc/GNUstep directory. Probably this failed because /etc/GNUstep was not writable by the user who installed GNUstep. If they want to build from source they can configure the make and base packages to use an alternative location for the config file, and in fact there are loads of possibilities for customising your setup but we would need to know exactly how things have been built/ installed to know which would be useful to you.

Most likely, on a standard installation, the config file should be in /etc/GNUstep but the base library will have builtin default values it can use to run if the file is not found. In this case you can probably work around the issue of the config file not being installed by creating your own version of the config file wherever you like, and set the GNUSTEP_CONFIG_FILE environment variable to point to it in order to get openapp to use it.

The second issue is a bit more general. After following the tutorial mentioned above I can see that it was meant to build a bundle based app like a typical GUI app on Mac OS X. However, what I really need to do for my project is to use the GNUSTEP GUI library from a command-line tool type program. I hope this is possible. I can currently build & run tools just fine, but if I add the include statement for the AppKit it doesn't work. I get linker errors basically saying that the symbols for any of the classes from the AppKit that I try to use aren't found. So from this I guess it means the makefile for tools doesn't link the AppKit. Yet the makefile for GUI apps makes bundle based apps. Can I get something inbetween - a tool
that links against the AppKit?

It is possible as long as you don't use classes/methods which depend on resources that the application expects to find in its bundle... look in the Tools subdirectory of the gui library package for examples. Basically your GNUmakefile.premable needs to add flags to let your tool find the gui headers and to add '-lgnustep-gui' to the libraries it links with.