Re: openapp tool

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: openapp tool
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 13:32:10 +0000

On 13 Feb 2006, at 12:02, Marko Riedel wrote:

Hello there,

I noticed that openapp does not find applications in the current
directory:

gnustep2006@compaqtnew:~/GMastermind2> openapp GMastermind2.app
Can't find the required application: GMastermind2.app!

Should we replace the line

for dir in "$GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT" "$GNUSTEP_LOCAL_ROOT"
"$GNUSTEP_NETWORK_ROOT" "$GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT"; do

by

for dir in "$GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT" "$GNUSTEP_LOCAL_ROOT"
"$GNUSTEP_NETWORK_ROOT" "$GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT" "."; do

No ... automatic search of the current directory is generally considered bad practice (a security issue due to the risk of running trojans).

You need to explicitly add '.' to your PATH if you think you never make that sort of mistake and want things in the current directory to be found automatically, but I prefer to avoid the risk and type 'openapp ./appname' if I know I want the version in the current directory.