Debug vs Release modes like Xcode?

From: Stephen Sebeny
Subject: Debug vs Release modes like Xcode?
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 15:33:11 -0500

Hi,

    I haven't used GNUstep tons, so sorry if this is a basic question. When
working with Cocoa on Mac OS X using Xcode there is a Debug mode and a
Release mode when you compile. For a simple command line interface tool that
I have when compiled with Debug mode it produces a 600+ K executable file.
Yet when building with Release mode it produces a 44 K executable file. I
noticed that when I build this same project on Solaris using GNUstep it
produces a 600+ K executable file. So I am assuming that this is the
equivalent to the debug mode in Xcode. Is there some switch I need to add to
the GNUstep makefile for my project to tell it to go to relase mode? Or is
there no equivalent? Or do I need to use some other tool to manually strip
out debug info out of the executable? Please let me know, or better yet
point me in the direction of the relevant information. Thanks!

-----
Stephen M. Sebeny
sebeny.1@osu.edu