Re: Thoughts triggered by these NeXTbuntu guys

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Thoughts triggered by these NeXTbuntu guys
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 08:47:51 -0400

On Aug 30, 2006, at 12:12 AM, Tima Vaisburd wrote:

I often connect to my home machine from work, and use X windows over ssh and then cable internet provider. Since GNUstep is extremely slow on that
connection even with xlib it exludes any GNUstep program as a viable
alternative to other X clients (but emacs, for instance, works reasonably
fast).

I hate to throw cold water on something but it's best to be honest. ;) There's not much hope for this with the present architecture. Essentially, pixmaps are being transferred over the wire. Java/Swing applications have the same issue. The solution would be to reengineer things so that 'back' ran on the display server, which is essentially how OS X works.