Re: really attracting developers

From: Michael Thaler
Subject: Re: really attracting developers
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 19:44:27 +0200

On Wednesday 30 August 2006 14:41, discuss-gnustep-request@gnu.org wrote:

> True, especially regarding Gecko. However, using libwww WOULD be an
> idea for writing a _very_ simple webbrowser. I was thinking about
> that, using libwww as a bundle, so it could be easily replaced in case
> WebKit (or something else that's better than libwww) came along.

What is a _very_ simple webbrowser good for? I don't think many peope are
interested in using such a browser if there are far better alternatives like
Firefox and Konqueror.

In case you don't know, there is a free webbrowser based on WebKit and written
in Cocoa: Shiira (http://hmdt-web.net/shiira/en). It's BSD licensed. I cannot
try it because I don't have a Mac. But a browser like this (or Safari) would
make gnustep much more interesting for users (and developers are also users
and often help with projects that they use).

Personally, I kept a eye on gnustep for a long time and and every now and then
I think about writing a small gnustep app (I would like to write a simple
painting app like KolourPaint). But I always abolished the idea because I
cannot use gnustep as my desktop (and gnustep apps are unsuable under KDE)
and developed for KDE instead.

But I still hope that gnustep is useable as a desktop some day (and for me
that means mainly, that basic applications that I use every day like an email
programm and a browser are available). At this point I probably will start to
develop for gnustep.

Greetings,
Michael