Re: Camaelon <-> GNUstep

From: Gregory John Casamento
Subject: Re: Camaelon <-> GNUstep
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 12:25:21 -0700 (PDT)

All,

Sorry to reply late to this thread... :)

-- Richard Frith-MacDonald wrote:
> I *like* the default scheme much more than other systems... so I find
> the argument about changing the look to attract developers very
> unconvincing.  However, providing screenshots of alternative color
> schemes won't do any harm and might help.

Here's a reply from one of the people from my blog right after I announced nib
compatibility (I hope the original poster doesn't mind, but it was posted to my
blog publically):

"Wow, very cool. The one thing that always bugged me about GNUstep, and the one
thing that alwawys stops me from using it is the UI style; hardly up-to-date by
anyone's standards. Are there any plans to create a more modern-looking theme?
Not necessarily an OS X clone, but something that's a little more visually
pleasing...

This could also be the one thing holding GNUStep from becoming mainstream,
IMHO."

This is the most frequent criticism I hear concerning GNUstep.    I've heard it
from two companies that were planning to port their apps to GNUstep.  I also
heard it from another company which wanted to create new apps for GNUstep by
itself (and perhaps port from GNUstep to Mac OS at a later date).   I also hear
it from people whom I show GNUstep to occasionally.  While many like the look,
some don't.  Unfortunately people will almost always gravitate to something
because it's attractive, in spite of what it's technical merits underneath
might or might not be.

GNUstep, I believe. needs a theming system which is flexible and extensible.
This will allow people to make new themes that make GNUstep look like whatever
they want it to.  I would, personally, prefer a significantly updated NeXT look
to be the default theme (think about what NeXT's UI might look like, if NeXT
hadn't been bought by Apple).

Later, GJC

--Gregory John Casamento