Re: scrollbars [was: Re: really attracting developers]

From: phil taylor
Subject: Re: scrollbars [was: Re: really attracting developers]
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 09:34:04 +1000

On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 00:51 +0200, Helge Hess wrote:
> On Sep 5, 2006, at 24:38, phil taylor wrote:
> > Can anyone (try to) explain the merits of the floating menus?
>
> You just need a single click and no drag to perform an arbitary
> (menu) action. You can easily detach the menu groups you need and
> thereby form some kind of "favorite menus".
>
> A floating menu is more like a toolbar (or many toolbars) though a
> toolbar wastes space in every single window (but has better locality
> in return).
>
> I think there are no absolute pros or cons for either of the
> approaches. Both have their merits. If you have ever used NeXTstep
> you will know that vertical menus are very nice, a look&feel is
> something hard to describe in words.
>
> Greets,
>    Helge

Thanks.

So the real advantage seems to come when you detach the lower level
menus and personalise the interface. But doesnt that use up a lot of
space? Do you have to do that each time the app is loaded?

I am dissapointed that the GNUstep project is devoted to its UI design.
I had hoped the most important aspect was the API, not the look and feel
of the GUI. IT will never suit me. I HATE menus, especially cascading
ones.

What I would like is for the GNUstep api to be integrated with GTK+. Now
that would be something i would go for. But obviously from my
conversations on this mailing list, very unlikely to ever happen.