Re: scrollbars [was: Re: really attracting developers]

From: Rogelio Serrano
Subject: Re: scrollbars [was: Re: really attracting developers]
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 12:00:47 +0800

On 9/5/06, phil taylor <ptay1685@bigpond.net.au> wrote:

The main strength of menus is cramming lots of options in a small space.
What you gain on the swings you lose on the roundabouts.

I particularly hate cascading menus because of the tendency of the
subordinate menu to dissappear if you do not move the mouse precisely
enough, especially on high res screens with small text. Also any
hierarchical setup makes finding the subordinate items very hard, as it
is very difficult to traverse a complex tree and remember where you have
already been. Thats another pet hate of mine - the awful Unix directory
structure, with its /lib/bin/share/bin/lib" structure. e.g. Is it
in /lib/bin/hotplug or /lib/hotplug/bin or /lib/sbin/local/share/hotplug
or lib/hotplug/local/bin/share etc... I think you get the point.

Probably i am too impatient and menus are best when used sedately.

i dont like menus.

i would rather have big keyboard keys with big labels. more like 30
function keys. nobody will make any mistakes with that.

--
the thing i like with my linux pc is that i can sum up my complaints in 5 items