Re: [Fwd: Re: really attracting developers]

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: really attracting developers]
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 20:07:31 +0200

Applications have lots of
metadata about them - some of it you can bodge into a wiki with Category
tags and so on, but not much.  Consider how much easier it is to find
an application on Freshmeat than a whole-web search engine.

Mh. Tags like "[Translations]" and "[Environment]" can be perfectly emulated with categories and then listed on a special page. Statistics not so much, but they're not essential anyway. But yes, this might become unwieldy when the number of GNUstep apps hit 1000 or so, I give in :O.

The current appdb runs on WebObjects, good, but needs some updating of both functionality and look. So much to do, so little time...

What does the release or popularity of a project have to do with using a wiki as the homepage?

Volume of material to store, for one.

Well... Wikipedia!!!1

...?!

I don't find white on white to be a nice colour combination.  Maybe your
eyes work normally and you have your browser default to black-on-white?

So you're looking for a skin where colors and font-sizes are only set when necessary and you get to use your browser defaults? Try the "Simple" skin: http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php?title=Main_Page&useskin=simple. Set it in Preferences -> Skins.

Also, if you use Firefox or Opera, you can set specific user stylesheets for certain (or all) sites manually. I forgot how, though.

It depends which device I'm using, but the cookie requirements of the
mediawiki seem not documented anywhere on it.  Yes, I could step through
and yes/no each cookie, but that's a PITA.  Why don't you fix the wiki?

Hum. According to Google, Mediawiki supports logging in for a session, so I guess there's a way to avoid cookies. What happens when you don't check "remember me"?

Try activating accepting of cookies, logging into the wiki and setting "remember me", then deactivating accepting of cookies. You should stay logged in, but this is just a wild guess. Also, I'm no PHP dev :O.

This is part of the problem - WikiFarmers seem to be ignorant of web
technology like P3P or WCAG and don't care.  Most seem happy with the
idea of survival of the fittest and see obstructing others are part of
showing their fitness.  Surprisingly given that, they also seem to be
ignorant of history and unwilling to research, such as why the hostname
was mediawiki.gnustep.org for a while.

Now you're sounding bitter -- they probably just didn't *know* some people had difficulties with their site, so you need to tell them explicitly. Don't just hint at non-WCAG-compliance :)

And really, the hostname thing was a cosmetic issue.

I edit stuff offline by synchronising online, editing offline, then
synchronising again when I get back online.  Copy-pasting between text
files and browser is very primitive - it would nuke other later changes
on upload, wouldn't it?

Yes, but what other way is there short of having access to SVN and therefore being able to easily merge changes? It's the same with a static website or a content management system without such capabilities. Someone changes it while you're editing away and you'll have to use diff and/or patch. The chances of colliding might be less if you edit just a section, not the whole page.

I mean copies kept on gnustep.org in case the original goes off-line.

Wiki pages are kept on-site and are easier to publish/pass around because you know there aren't going to be outdated mirrors.

That said, texinfo has
been around a lot longer than mediawiki's not-quite-wiki markup and is
more consistent across platforms.

So is HTML generated by a wiki :O. Plus, you can adjust font sizes and whatnot.

One big plus of document-style markup is that we can format them into
whatever is the current 'house style' without needing to enforce a tight
style guide like discussed in
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnustep/2006-09/msg00189.html
Single-site wiki markup rules seem far worse than one author using texinfo.

Point 1, a hierarchy, relates to the structure (-> navigation) of the wiki, not single articles. Point 2 really applies only to the application pages, because he didn't know that I originally intended to import the software infobox from Wikipedia (see the box to the right on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnustep) which is a template that takes arguments. You don't have to care about layout when writing normal articles and whatnot. You structure the text, Mediawiki does the formatting for you.

Wikipedia is an interesting experiment, but terrible as an
information source and people who rely on it make some hilarious
mistakes.

Alright, lets stay with manual registration ;)