Re: How to use DO in a Foundation-based daemon

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: How to use DO in a Foundation-based daemon
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 07:34:27 +0100

On 19 Oct 2006, at 07:21, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

On 19 Oct 2006, at 00:59, Quentin Mathé wrote:

But I still think there is a host related issue, because my code seems correct if you take in account my daemon is for a single user on a single machine. In my test, it fails in the method -[NSMessagePortNameServer portForName:onHost:]. With NSMessagePort debug level turned on, I get the following ouput :

portForName: /etoilesystem host: pcubuntu
non-local host

Your host name is wrong ...
When you want a connection for the current host you must specify an empty string as the host (or an asterisk ... which means any host). Actually, I think gnustep allows nil as well ... but I wouldn't guarantee that, and would doubt that using nil is portable to MacOS-X

Maybe the message port name server ought to allow any local host name (or even simply ignore the host argument) ... I haven't checked MacOS-X behavior ... the current behavior in GNUstep inherits from the old NeXT behavior where a host name implied the corresponding IP address. Probably we should either ignore the host or generate an error log or raise an exception ... whatever MacOS-X does.

I checked the MacOS-X documentation ... it says that the host name must be an empty string or nil.