Re: NSCharacterConversionException

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: NSCharacterConversionException
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 12:51:48 +0100

Patrick schrieb:

> I am using GNUstep in a C# project.
> When I try to create an NSFont using a NSString that contains the following
> string: 'MS P明朝' I get the following exception from the FontWithNameSize
> method:
>
> <NSException: 5fbe018> NAME:NSCharacterConversionException REASON:Can't get
> cString from Unicode string.
>
> I simply have no idea what I should do. Any ideas or hints would be much
> appreciated!

It surely would help if you would try this in an Objective-C only
application, but in this specific case it looks like a real GNUstep
problem. :-)

You did not state the environment you are running on, but from C# and
the font name I suspect that you are on MS Windows. I would thing that
the problem you get comes from [Win32FontInfo setupAttributes] where the
code expects to be able to call cString on the font family name and this
fails for your Asian font name. Again a full back trace in gdb would
have been helpful.
The only solution I can see for this problem, if I did identify it
correctly, is to switch our whole Win32 code over to use what Microsoft
calls UNICODE, that is 16 bit w_char instead of char. As I have given up
Microsoft Windows programming years ago, we will have to look for a new
volunteer to do this.

Hope this helps
Fred