Re: Symlinks from Tools to Applications

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Symlinks from Tools to Applications
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 20:16:58 -0700

On Feb 17, 2007, at 6:23 PM, Nicola Pero wrote:

This might sound heretical, but I'd like to make our FHS integration more tight by
symlinking app binaries from the Tools directory. :-)

In other words, when you install GNUMail.app I'd like to create the symlink

GNUSTEP_LOCAL_TOOLS/GNUMail --> GNUSTEP_LOCAL_APPS/GNUMail.app/ {...}/GNUMail

I'd be careful about doing this at least without a way to turn it off. I'm thinking mainly about how different systems package GNUstep stuff - such as debian. They already use a fairly complicated script to move around things into the proper FHS/Debian format. I'm sure the recent changes you have made to gnustep-make will simplify this for them, but I don't really know how they handle apps. GNUmail, for instance, is already put into /usr/bin, but I can't really tell from the description if it's a link or not.