Re: Really learning ObjC

From: Daniel J Farrell
Subject: Re: Really learning ObjC
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 21:54:08 +0000

Hi Stefan,

You sound a lot like me two years ago! :o)

I'm in the last year of a physics PhD and, in the last 2 years, have spent a LOT of time doing number crunching and physical modelling in objective-c. Kochan's Objective-C book is the only book that made to whole object oriented approach mean anything for me. Like you, I spent a few years in MATLAB so it took me a little while to understand why objects are so useful.

Get the book, spend a few weeks going thought the first few chapters, and don't look back. It's money well spent.

Although not an introduction to OO programming, Nicola have some great tutorials on how to use foundation GNUStep class (which I still refer back to!):
http://www.gnustep.it/nicola/Tutorials/

In particular, for science programming, I have found NSArray, NSDictonary, NSData to be very useful (and there mutable counter parts), from Foundation. In the GUI side of things I mostly have use NSBezierPath for some simple data plotting. GNUStep has a lot to offer science folks, so stick at it.

Another good resource would be the programming forum at www.macosx.com.

Cheers,

Dan.