Re: Use of GNUstep in a commercial application

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Use of GNUstep in a commercial application
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 19:28:19 -0700

On Mar 1, 2007, at 6:10 PM, Michael Hopkins wrote:

I am an IT/maths person first, a businessman third and a non- lawyer. ;o)

I wonder if someone here could tell me in laymans terms whether or not we are allowed to use (unchanged) GNUstep code/libraries in an application that we host on a server somewhere and that people would log in to our server and
pay to use.  Is this:

The GNUstep *Libraries* are under the LGPL, which means you can use them in any program, even non-free programs without having to give up any rights to your non-free program. GNUstep *Tools* are under the normal GPL, which means you need to give back any changes to the tools or anything that uses the tools.

FYI, Even under the GPL, you can charge anything you want to use a program, as long as you give away the source code :-)