Re: Window managers

From: Günther Noack
Subject: Re: Window managers
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 12:38:31 +0100

Hi!

Am 18.03.2007 um 03:42 schrieb TMC:
I hate to see developers' time wasted on duplicating efforts of others. Can we please have a standard for a "GNUstep-compliant" window manager? I'm
thinking something along the lines of "A compliant window manager must
implement X, Y, and Z."

I think this is a *very* good point. I don't think the lack of GNUstep compliant window managers is caused by the people not wanting to support GNUstep, but by the GNUstep project's failure to communicate what has to be done to actually *make* a window manager GNUstep compliant.

It's probably not a very big list of changes that have to be made on a window manager, so I wouldn't be surprised if Freedesktop.org accepted the GNUstep extensions to the window manager standard as an optional appendix. (Please don't say GNUstep is not a Desktop; No matter what it is, it's a very good base for building a desktop and the window manager additions are caused by GNUstep itself, not a GNUstep-based desktop environment.)

I strongly believe that if we can get the GNUstep additions into the Freedesktop.org WM specification, we'll see a much more GNUstep compliant window managers popping up.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
Günther