Re: Was GNUstep ready for GNUstep ?

From: Wolfgang Sourdeau
Subject: Re: Was GNUstep ready for GNUstep ?
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 00:37:42 -0400

I don't see how keeping some variables around would not have been possible. Even by noting them as "deprecated" and waiting for a few more release before removing them. That's always the case during an intelligent migration process. "GNUSTEP_INSTALLATION_DIR" is probably a variable which was possible to keep and that most modules are counting on...

Maybe the goals that were targetted are valid. Maybe they were reached correctly. But it's also important to think about the people who depend on such a package before causing so much incompatibility. Unless you can prove that keeping things compatible would harm the intended process, I consider that way of doing things as stupid.

Wolfgang