Re: Is keyed archives portable between Cocoa and GNUstep ?

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Is keyed archives portable between Cocoa and GNUstep ?
Date: 21 May 2007 09:39:37 -0700

On 21 Mai, 17:43, Fred Kiefer <fredkie...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Yen-Ju Chen wrote:
> > Since GNUstep can read and write nib file,
> > I wonder whether it means the keyed archives are portable between
> > Cocoa and GNUstep ?
> > In another word, if I have objects key-encoded with GNUstep,
> > can it be read with the same program building with Cocoa ?
> > I look at the nib file, which is supposed to be keyed archived,
> > and it seems to be in some kind of  binary format.
>
> Don't let this binary format worry you. GNUstep supports both the binary
> and the XML format used by Cocoa for keyed coding.
> Are keyed archives then portable between GNUstep and Cocoa? As usuals,
> it depends :-)

You can be quite safe that all object structures you can also encode
as property lists (i.e. NSArray, NSDictionary, NSNumber, NSString) and
classes where you write your own keyed encodeWithCoder/initWithCoder
are portable.

I.e. the most common case is that your application has some model data
structures to be encoded during a Save operation in a (binary) file.
This should IMHO work without problems.

Nikolaus