Re: NSNetService with Avahi

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: NSNetService with Avahi
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 21:32:00 +0200

On 6/5/07, Yen-Ju Chen <yjchenx@gmail.com> wrote:
Did anyone try to run NSNetService with Avahi ?

Yes, I did and I'm not going to comment on Avahi...

The configure only detect mDNSResponder.
Unfortunately, I cannot compile mDNSResponder and it is not a package of Ubuntu.

Which version of mDNSResponder did you try?

The original patch for NSNetService said it may work with Avahi.
So I guess the API of Avahi is very similar mDNSRsponder.

It is not. However, Avahi used to have/has a compatibility mode that
'maps' mDNSResponder calls to Avahi calls. It's slow and not fully
implemented, but it works.

I was working on Avahi integration for Tryst (which is the 'test bed'
for NSNetService) but got stuck (and sidetracked) half way.
Currently my development machine is (once again) broken (due to
another hard disk crash and faulty RAM). I know it's nothing big, but
I've got a family to take care of, so replacing hardware is at the
very bottom of my list.

--
Chris