Non-root user problem on Solaris

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Non-root user problem on Solaris
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 23:16:46 +0200

Hi all,

in the meanwhile I managed to get X and dtlogin up and running on the consoles of a Solaris 10 SPARC and a Solaris 10 x86 machine (usually I work with a Sun Ray) in order to figure out whether my problem is anyhow Sun Ray Server Software related. It is not!!! I have exactly the same problem on the console. Logging in as root is no problem. When logging in as a non-root user I can surprisingly successfully start Azalea. But as soon as I try to start any other GNUstep application I get

/opt/GNUstep/System/Applications/AZBackground.app/AZBackground: Uncaught exception WindowServerCommunication, reason: Unable to retrieve list of screens from window server.

This is not Azalea related. I get the same error when logging into a GNOME (JDS) session and then try "openapp Finder" or whatever.

So: The current GNUstep (svn) does not work on Solaris (as on-root user)!!!

Can anybody confirm this and/or has a clue what is going wrong here?

Thanks,

  Andreas