Re: universal binaries

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: universal binaries
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 21:30:28 +0200

Am 16.09.2007 um 16:35 schrieb Frederico Muñoz:

One possible way would be to use the CPU
subtype flag to indicate a CPU+OS pair

Once I step slightly away from the name "cputype" and start to think about "architecturetype" or "platformtype" I can't see a kludge here. Subtype (probably, I'd have to check) works slightly differently as a G4 CPU can run G3 binaries but not vice-versa.

(I'm not even considering different libc)

Libraries use the same mechanism, so your libc has to contain a cputype/architecturetype/platformtype matching your actual hardware.

In the end I'm not sure that MAB's are worth the trouble given all this if
one takes out the "coolness " factor (i.e. the exact some app running
on OSX and GNUstep), which is perhaps somethings that appeals on a
more emotional level than purely practical.

You need kernel support ... if you have this kernel support, FAT binaries are not limited to Cocoa/GNUstep but would work for all types of executables.

Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/