Re: GNUstep Windows Installer

From: Christopher Armstrong
Subject: Re: GNUstep Windows Installer
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 10:18:35 +1100

Hi Fred

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 12:45:46, Fred Kiefer wrote:
base:
It looks like the xml2-config script in the mingw/bin directory is not
set up correctly. Changing its first variable to point to the real
directory (I think it was just /mingw) solves the problem.

I have noticed this issue as well with the pre-packaged binaries. Compiling libxml2 from source works alot better IMHO. libxslt2 doesn't seem to want to compile from source correctly, though. Its symbols clobber libgnustep-base so badly that they hide every other library's symbols in the export of the DLL (use the "Dependency Walker" tool/ depends.exe on libgnustep-base-015.dll to see what I mean).

gui:
Here a problem with the type boolean that gets defined in two imported
header files needs to be resolved. I worked around this by hacking in a
#define boolean JPEG_BOOL into the libjpeg.h file.

I had this problem as well. It doesn't seem to occur with the release version of GNUstep.

After all that I still have problem starting up an application. This is
caused by gui not finding the backend. I expect that this is caused by
some unusual language settings (German) on my computer. At least this is the only hint I get from GNUstep. I report back on that issue as soon as
I find out more.

I had the same issue as well, but with my own generated installer (maybe with Adam's, I'm not sure). I thought it was a problem in my configuration as I was using my own generated installer which downloads newer mingw/msys binaries which I think may be problematic. I don't think it is your language settings because I use the default English language settings i.e. I don't configure GNUstep for another language.

I will test GNUstep SVN against Adam's new installer and see if I get the same issues.

Cheers

Chris