Re: Trouble running the cairo backend

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Trouble running the cairo backend
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 09:09:30 +0100

TMC wrote:

> Fred Kiefer wrote:
>> It would also be great to switch to the current SVN source to see if the
>> problem still persists or has already been resolved.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Fred
> The other diagnostic suggestions you offered were over my head. I did check
> out revision 26027 from SVN, and got the same errors as before. Thanks for
> the help.

OK then lets try again :-)

>> You also get an X error before cairo complains. I would expect that
>> the X error is the source of the problem. We need to find out what is
>> going wrong there and then we will be able to understand what cairo
>> is trying to tell us. You should be able to see this by setting a
>> break point into XGErrorHandler and generating a back trace.

What I was trying to suggest here is to start you application in debug
mode, that is you need to have gdb installed and then do:

openapp --debug ./GSTest.app (or what ever application you want)
as soon as gdb starts up you type in:

b XGErrorHandler

This will tell you that it cannot find this function, which is fine at
that time, so you type in "y" and start the application by pressing "r"
or "run". Next your error should be happening and gdb should end up in
the GNUstep error handler for X. It stops there and you should type in
"bt" or "backtrace" to get more information on what caused the problem.
you may have to press return once or twice to get full error information.

Please send me this back trace and if need be, I will explain the other
debug step in a follow up mail.

Cheers,
Fred