Re: [Etoile-discuss] LLVM

From: Hubert Chathi
Subject: Re: [Etoile-discuss] LLVM
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:33:50 -0500

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 09:02:51 -0800 "Andrew Pinski" <pinskia@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 8:54 AM, David Chisnall
> <csdavec@swansea.ac.uk> wrote:
> >  I composed a long reply to Nicola's email, but this makes my point
> > far better than I did.  A few things:
> >
> >  - LLVM is Free Software.
>
> No it is open source software not Free software.

I'm confused.  How is it not Free software?  AFAICT, it is licensed
under what is essentially a modified BSD license, plus some GPLed
parts, which are both Free software licenses.

> In fact if you look
> at the history, you will see it is copyrighted by an university still
> and that is most likely not going to change so they could change the
> license of newer versions to some closed source license.

Sure, but that doesn't really have any bearing on whether or not it is
Free software or not.  (In fact, since it is under the modified BSD
license, *anyone* can integrate it into a closed source package, minus
the GPLed bits.)

--
Hubert Chathi - Email/Jabber: hubert@uhoreg.ca - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA   (Key available at wwwkeys.pgp.net)