Re: gnustep-base: GSInsensitiveDictionary.m on apple-apple-apple

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: gnustep-base: GSInsensitiveDictionary.m on apple-apple-apple
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 12:53:50 +0000

On 12 Mar 2008, at 04:09, Blake Nicholson wrote:

When building base (svn HEAD) with a library combo of apple-apple- apple (on OS X 10.5.2), I received warnings about the implicit declaration of GSDebugAllocationRemove and GSDebugAllocationAdd due to the following function (lines 374-384 of GSInsensitiveDictionary.m):

<snip>

What's the appropriate long-term fix for this? Should the GSDebug... functions declared in NSDebug.h be moved to something that is part of Additions (say GSDebug.h/GSDebug.m)?

I think that what you did is exactly the right fix for this ... the debug operations used are not available with Apples Foundation, so making their use conditional upon the available foundation library is the correct option, and I've added that to svn trunk.

As an aside, should I use "defined(GNUSTEP)" or "defined(GNUSTEP_BASE_LIBRARY)"? Based upon base.make, these appear to be synonymous, but the use of the GNUSTEP macro appears much more common when looking through the rest of the codebase.

I'm not sure myself what the difference is. Having GNUSTEP_BASE_LIBRARY defined means that yue are using the gnustep base library (so that's the one to check in this case), but having GNUSTEP defined seems less clear.