Re: ... and an enhancement for ProjectCenter

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: ... and an enhancement for ProjectCenter
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 22:22:33 +0200

Wolfgang,

On 2008-10-19 19:08:42 +0200 Wolfgang Lux <wolfgang.lux@gmail.com> wrote:

A while ago I learned from Nicola that GNUstep make provides the
xxx_COPY_INTO_DIR variable to suppress the standard installation
of a tool and install it into another application. Unfortunately,
PC does not yet support this variable. Until PC supports adding
arbitrary variables to either GNUmake or GNUmakefile.preamble,
the best solution I see for adding support for xxx_COPY_INTO_DIR
is (ab)using the installation directory project attribute. The
attached patch checks the INSTALLDIR project attribute for an
application or tool project and sets xxx_COPY_INTO_DIR in the
generated makefile when the attribute is a relative path, not
one of the standard installation domains SYSTEM, LOCAL, NETWORK,
and USER, and it does not start with a $. The latter is just to
prevent the code from getting confused by the default value for
the installation directory, which is currently $(HOME)/GNUstep
for an application and $(HOME)/GNUstep/Tools for a tool project.
These paths and other absolute paths continue to be handled by
passing DESTDIR to the make command. I'm aware that this is more
a hack, but it serves its purpose well for me and I guess it may
be useful for others, too.

I didn't verify it myself,but your reasoning sounds acceptable, although of course more makefile variable setting will be needed in the future. Generally speaking PC needs to be more flexible about several parameters.
I submitted it for the time being, as is.

Thank you again,
  Riccardo